August Workshop with Connie RoseWe’ll be altering an old book by removing the book block, reinforcing the spine, and inserting pages of our own. Use an old book you already have, pick one up at a garage sale or thrift shop, or choose one to work with from a selection provided at the workshop. We’ll make a 3-signature journal and learn the Diamond X stitch to bind the book.
The workshop is in 3 parts:
Part 1, we’ll dismantle and rebuild the book itself.
Part 2, we’ll cut or tear papers and create three signatures.
Part 3, we will bind the new journal.
The fee is $45. Please RSVP as soon as possible, and send payment by Tuesday August 6 . See newsletter for details.
Materials To Bring:
Old book to alter, with spine no more than 1 inch thick.
Various papers including scrapbook or drawing paper, magazine or catalog pages), large format picture or photo books, pages from large old journals, accounting paper, flap envelopes of any kind—pretty much any paper you can recycle/reuse.
Decorative paper for insides of front and back covers.
Piece of cardstock 3 inches wide and as long as your book is tall (for hole template).
Book cloth tape OR contact paper OR plain or decorative duct tape for inside spine.
Tools To Bring:
• PVA or Mod Podge and glue brush
• Cutting mat
• Craft knife
• Bone folder
• Awl or screw punch
• Binding needle
• Waxed or unwaxed linen thread – can also use hemp thread
• Wax, if using hemp thread
• BIG paper clips, the plastic-coated kind (they don’t mar the paper like metal ones often do)
• OPTIONAL: If you want to cover the outside spine of your book with paper, bring a special piece for that purpose, 4 inches longer than the spine and 5 – 5-1/2 inches wide. OR you can use contact paper cut to the same size as above. OR if you want to cover the outside spine with fabric, then cut a piece of fabric the size specified above, glue it onto paper smoothing it down to get all the wrinkles out, let dry completely. Or you can fuse the fabric to paper, which I prefer over glue. In either case, bring the fabric/paper/contact paper strip to the workshop ready to glue onto your book.
Materials to be provided:
• Extra papers/pages. You’ll need between 15 and 24 papers to fold into folios. Bring 15 and use some of Connie’s if you need more.
• Decorative duct tape (Duck brand). If you want to buy your own, Michaels has the biggest selection, also Ace Hardware.
• Contact paper. Also available at Ace if you prefer your own.
• Hemp threads in neutral colors. Michaels has in a variety of colors
• Books to alter, if you need one
• Piercing cradles
More detailed info will be emailed when you pre-register for the workshop.